PTFE happens to be quite a hot topic these days, and you will see the word being used in different sectors like the industrial sector, manufacturing, and even in the cooking sector as well. So, what exactly is PTFE and what is it about PTFE that makes it so special? PTFE, or polytetrafluoroethylene, happens to be a synthetic polymers that is comprised of two elements; i.e. fluorine and carbon. It is essentially acquired from tetraflouroethylene (TFE), and this is what gives the PTFE coating we know their unique qualities, a few of which we will be mentioning down below.
- PTFE is a chemically inert substance. This means that PTFE will not react to other chemicals or solvents, so its nature will not be changed, and it will not be damaged either.
- PTFE happens to be a very moldable and flexible substance. This property basically entails that PTFE can easily be applied to different types of surfaces at different temperatures without losing its structural integrity.
- While we are still on the topic of flexibility to temperature changes, it is also worth noting that PTFE happens to have a very high melting point. In fact, there are very few instances where it is possible for PTFE to actually sustain heat damage or be affected by the heat.
- PTFE also happens to be hydrophobic in nature, so it does not get wet, and this makes it really useful in certain areas like cooking.
- There is little-to-none friction, so it is very easy for objects to slide around and spread easily on the surface.
These mix of different properties makes PTFE a very unique and versatile material that can be used in different sectors and industries. In fact, you can find a lot of substances and tools in your daily life that happen to have PTFE present in them.