A decade ago, there was a purity in virality that a lot of people miss. Things went viral because they were generally good content, not because an agency had funneled lots of money into them. Nowadays it can get easy to think that the only thing you need to go viral is a ton of money, but this is not the case at all. It is perfectly possible for your content to go viral even if you have a very limited budget, and listed below are a few tips to help you make this possible:
- Simplicity: Don’t make content that is too complicated. It should get the message across efficiently, allowing audiences to figure things out in a flash. In today’s world of social media, instant gratification is far too common for people to be willing to put a significant amount of time into looking at any particular piece of content. Hence, you need to make sure that your content does not require too much time to fully understand.
- Incentivize Sharing: People are not going to share your content unless they are going to get something out of it. This does not mean that you need to start paying people to share your content, rather it means that your content needs to hit home in such a way that people are going to get some kind of social capital by sharing it if nothing else. Anything that sparks a positive reaction in your audience is going to help you get shares.
- Understand Your Users: One of the biggest mistakes that people tend to make while they are creating content is that they are not creating for their audience. Once you have built an audience base, it is very important that you start understanding what they want so that you can give it to them. Test out different kinds of content and see what fits. After a little while you are going to better understand what type of content your audience will respond to the most.
- Branch Out into Different Platforms: If you want to ensure that your content goes viral, one thing you are going to have to do is keep in touch with your fanbase and users using email and other types of long form media. This is going to keep them engaged and will allow you to create some kind of content interaction during dry spells.
- Pay Attention to Current Affairs: Your content needs to be relatable and it needs to provide some kind of emotional draw for your audience. The best way to create content that fits this bill is to look into current affairs and see what the world cares about the most at any given time. As soon as something happens that everyone is talking about, create content that talks about it or refers to it in an interesting way and your video will definitely go viral!